Article: Dow Gardens Butterflies in Bloom 2024 | Midland Michigan Butterfly House, Photos, Know Before You Go!
Dow Gardens Butterflies In Bloom is an exciting opportunity to see amazing butterflies from around the world (and collect them!). Dow Gardens is one of my favorite places to visit in Michigan and I’ve been there at least 100 times!
Dow Gardens is a beautiful botanical garden located in Midland, Michigan. This interactive exhibit is a great opportunity for visitors to see butterflies up close and personal during the early spring months, from March to mid-April.
Kids can learn more about butterflies too! Watch stunning butterflies emerge from their chrysalises and learn how to collect them safely! This Michigan March family event takes place in Midland, Michigan!
Where are the Dow Gardens located?
Dow Gardens: 1809 Eastman Avenue, Midland, MI 48640
See charming butterflies fluttering in Dow Garden’s greenhouse!
This fully submersible Michigan butterfly house is unlike others in the state in that you can collect them, transport them, and learn firsthand about the beauty and fragility of butterflies!
Over the course of the multi-week event, there should be approximately 4,000 butterflies to enjoy! New eggs hatch every day, so plan to visit a few times for a whole new experience!
Check out the newly renovated Dow Gardens Greenhouse!
Dow Gardens recently renovated the greenhouse and it is so beautiful! They also updated, expanded and improved the chrysalis box to allow for more butterflies.
When is the best time to see butterflies?
The butterflies have been emerging for quite some time before the exhibit opens, so you’ll see plenty of butterflies even on the first day.
Butterflies are most active on warm, sunny days. During those days, it’s fun to watch them flutter, dive, and fly around the exhibit. On cloudy days, butterflies rest more, which is a great time to take photos! I love experiencing butterflies in both weather conditions.
For your information: The tropical atmosphere of the Dow Garden Conservatory is very warm even though it’s cold outside! I usually wear a tank top under a long sleeve t-shirt so I can cool off in this Michigan butterfly house.
Admission and Ticket Information | How do reservations work?
It is important to plan ahead when you want to see the butterflies of Dow Gardens like Tickets It must be purchased online before your visit and you must choose the desired time. Also, on the day of your visit, plan to arrive about 10 minutes before your ticket time, as it is a quarter-mile walk to the Conservatory. The entire path to the Conservatory is smooth, level and paved, making it perfect for strollers or walkers.
- General admission to Dow Gardens (so you can also walk through the botanical gardens – the red bridges are amazing!)
- Butterflies in flower exhibition
- Entrance to Whiting Forest and the Longest Canopy Walk in the US!
Regular admission price 2024 It costs $15 for adults and $5 for children ages 4 to 18. Children under 3 years old enter for free. You can also purchase an annual admission card for $30 if you plan to visit more than twice.
- To purchase tickets, Go to the Dow Gardens website and click on the Butterflies in Bloom ticket page. From there, you can select the day you want to visit and then click on a drop-down menu to select the time you want.
At the arrived: Check in at the Dow Gardens Visitor Center. You can receive a map and more information about butterflies, Whiting Forest and Canopy Walk.
*You will have to reserve tickets for everyone who goes (because they limit the number of people per time slot), including children under 5 years old.
One of my favorite butterflies is the Blue Morpho. This beautiful butterfly is native to the rainforests of Mexico, Central America and South America. They can be difficult to spot as the outside of their wings is brown with large black circles, but the inside is a bright blue. They are absolutely magical in flight!
You will be able to observe several different species of butterflies from Africa, Asia, Costa Rica, Ecuador and all over the world.
Dow Gardens Blooming Butterfly Accessibility Days – Midland MI
Dow Gardens offers Butterflies in Bloom accessibility days on Mondays, March 4 – April 8, 2024. Specific times are: 12 pm, 1:15 pm and 2:30 pm What a great opportunity to visit this home of Michigan butterflies!
Butterflies in bloom late into the night
It can sometimes be difficult to get to Dow Gardens during regular hours, so this year they have extended viewing hours on Fridays until 7:30 pm starting March 15, 2024.
Is photography allowed?
Absolutely! I’m always there with my camera as this is a photo opportunity I can’t pass up! I am so excited to see each of the brightly colored butterflies fluttering around the Butterflies in Bloom exhibit.
Things to see at Dow Gardens!
Dow Gardens Butterflies: Know Before You Go
- You MUST call the Time Manager or visit the Dow Gardens website and schedule the day and time of your visit. Spring break will be very busy.
- ***The time you schedule is the time you enter the butterfly farm. It’s not time to get to the reception. Ex: If your scheduled time is 1:00, I would arrive at the reception at 12:40 and give me time to walk to the butterfly garden. Know that it will take about 20 minutes to walk back to the butterfly house if you have small children. If you are fit and head straight there, you can get there in about 7 minutes.
- If you have an annual pass there is no extra charge for the butterfly house. Otherwise you must purchase a daily or annual pass.
- Plan to spend 30 to 45 minutes in the butterfly garden. Also plan to walk the grounds. Overall, you can easily spend 3 hours at Dow Gardens, Whiting Forest, and Canopy Walk after seeing the Dow Gardens butterflies.
- Is VERY warm with high humidity. in the butterfly garden. She was wearing a tank top and jeans and was still hot.
- I know this seems obvious, but just in case…butterflies fly loose in the butterfly garden. They can land on you or fly very close to you.
- Dow Gardens butterflies are very fragile, so be very careful when handling them.
- Please be careful with photographers…don’t try to catch a butterfly they are photographing.
- There is a separate place to hang coats.
- Are there bathrooms in the butterfly garden at the main entrance.
How long does it take to walk through Dow Gardens?
If it is your first visit, I recommend about three hours since you can also visit Whiting Forest and the longest Canopy Walk in the United States. There is a children’s play area and cafe at Whiting Forest, so be sure to stop and have a cup of coffee while the kids play!
Why I Love the Blooming Butterflies at Dow Gardens
I love the butterflies in bloom at Dow Gardens Because spring is definitely in the air! Birds are singing, chipmunks are running, and trees are just beginning to bloom. It’s a great place to visit in Michigan!
Visiting the Dow Gardens Butterfly Garden in Midland, Michigan will get you outdoors, awaken your spirit, and, well, give you some much-needed fresh air. It’s kind of a two-for-one…butterflies AND a chance to explore the gardens!
Plus, the sun, the thawing stream, and the birdsong revive my soul! I’m sure it will do the same for you!
Visit Whiting Forest next door!
Connected to Dow Gardens is the longest Canopy Walk in the United States. Park once, use your pass you bought at Dow Gardens and walk!
Follow us on Instagram
Have a great Michigan story?
Do you have a great story about being in Michigan? Share it!
Traveling Michigan Home Page